Thursday, June 11, 2009

do you know that LaMB...


... is the first animated film that Animax Asia had ever produced? It's original script is written by fellow-Filipino, Carmelo S. Juinio, one of the finalists of the 2007 Animax awards Pan-Asia Animation competition.

The flash character animation and backgrounds of LaMB were also done here in the Philippines under the supervision of Peach Blossom Media, Singapore. The production here started on November last year with only 13 in-house flash animators. I should know. Because I'm one of the 13.

The original 13 were:

Aaron
Betchai (me)
Bling
Carla
Eumer
Eze
Jero
Jhe
Josh
Karlo
Leonel
Madz
Maine

Later, more animators were hired, but mostly freelance and some of them are OJTs.

Before we settle in Startoons, Alabang, we transferred studios thrice, in-between production, due to some management problems.

It's a little tough for us because we need to finish everything before the end of March. LaMB is scheduled to be aired in first week of April.

We are working more than 12 hours a day. We stay at the studio until the next day just to catch up with the deadlines. The working schedule is one-week straight, meaning, we work even on Sundays. Because of that, most of us are already experiencing headaches and palpitations due to lack of sleep.



Some other interesting facts about LaMB is that even our production assistants and technical crew were partaking in animating some of the scenes just to help us comply with the time frame requested by our client. And of course, we don't wanna create any issue with them in the first place.

Although, it was said that Ryousuke Tei directed the film, it was supervised by Thomas Chou, LaMB director based in Hong Kong. Jeff Lianza acts as our director in flash animation and Don Arado for 2d/traditional animation in the Philippines. Both Sir Jeff and Sir Don are Filipinos. A little bit of trivia, the basis for the face and features of PAULINO's character in the movie, is Sir Don.




What's fun during the production is that even though we all came from different studios, even our OJTs came from the University of Makati (UMak), before we all met in LaMB, we were able to build camaraderie and rapport in the 4 corners of our studio. Everyone is having fun. We clicked! Most of the time, Sir Jeff and Sir KQ, would order food for all of us, just to show how much they appreciate our efforts because they see that we're not even leaving our work stations just to finish the scenes assigned in each of us as soon as possible.

And yeah, I want you all to meet Josh, the animator who keeps on playing the movie's theme song, "I Can Wait Forever" by Simple Plan, over and over until we all give up. We're all like, "Oh, come on! Stop it already! It's really getting annoying now!!!" It's been our national anthem for 4 months.



There were also times that we stroll in Alabang Town Center just to clear our heads for a while before resuming work. We make tambay in McDo, Jollibee, ChowKing and sometimes we go window-shopping. Of gadgets. Of clothes. Of shoes. Of shampoo. Of toiletries... Oh... too much information there now...

Oh well... That's how I remember LaMB. Not just an animated film. But an anime that bonds a group of animators and production staff together. Not perfect but simply a memorable one.







.:": LaMB (2009) - Animax Asia Animation :":.

"I Can Wait Forever"
Simple Plan

You look so beautiful today
When you're sitting there it's hard for me to look away
So I try to find the words that I could say
I know distance doesn't matter
But you feel so far away
And I can't lie
But everytime I leave my heart turns grey
And I, I wanna come back home to see your face tonight...
Cause I just can't take it

Another day without you with me
Is like a blade that cuts right through me
I can wait, I can wait forever
When you call my heart stops beating
When you're gone it won't stop bleeding
I can wait, I can wait forever...

You look so beautiful today
It's like everytime I turn around I see your face
The thing I miss the most is waking up next to you
When I look into your eyes, man, I wish that I could stay
And I can't lie, but everytime I leave my heart turns grey
And I, I wanna come back home to see your face tonight...
Cause I just can't take it

Another day without you with me
Is like a blade that cuts right through me
I can wait, I can wait.. I can wait forever
When you call my heart stops beating
When you're gone it won't stop bleeding
I can wait, I can wait.. I can wait forever...

I know it feels like forever
I guess thats just a price I've gotta pay
But when I come back home to feel your touch makes it better
'Til that day there's nothing else I can do
And I just can take it
(Just can't take it)

Another day without you with me
Is like a blade that cuts right through me
I can wait, I can wait.. I can wait forever
When you come my heart stops beating
When you're gone it won't stop bleeding
I can wait, I can wait.. I can wait forever...
I can wait forever
I can wait forever
I can wait forever
I can wait forever
I can wait forever...

___

"Summertime"
The Click Five

On the boardwalk
Working two shifts
Saving for that diamond ring
Then I'll quit
All the cool kids
Hanging south pier
Guess I'll have it figured out by next year

Summertime summertime
You do it to me
Everytime summertime
You do it to me
Ohhhhohhhohhh
I'm restless
Ohhhhohhhohhh
Defenseless
Oh I can feel it
Baby is it real or is it just a sign
It's summertime

On the weekend
Got my ink done
Take my baby for a ride
In the sun
At the boardwalk
On my four wheels
Now we're blasting down the shore and we feel

Summertime summertime
You do it to me
Everytime summertime
You do it to me
Ohhhhohhhohhh
I'm restless
Ohhhhohhhohhh
Defenseless
Oh I can feel it
Baby is it real or is it just a sign
It's summertime


No comments: